Found on the southwest tip of Western Australia in the Margaret River region, the bustling city of Busselton is where amazing wine, craft beer, gourmet food, sheltered beaches and humpback whale spotting are just a way of life. There’s also another great perk to this amazing seaside city – it’s a great destination to take your four-legged friends!
The most common misconception is that you have to leave your furry friends at home if you want to go on holiday. Fortunately, more and more places in Western Australia are becoming accepting of the idea of having pets on the premise. And with RAC Busselton Holiday Park offering pet-friendly accommodation, all that’s left to decide is where to eat, drink and explore with your beloved pooch!
Here are our top 10 picks of pet-friendly things to do in and around Busselton.
1. Enjoy a delicious Five Senses Coffee and people watch at The Urban Coffee House
A 10-minute walk away from the beach and just a few blocks away from the main street in Busselton is The Urban Coffee House. This trendy café is a great place to enjoy a relaxing meal and a delicious coffee with the company of your furry friend. The Urban Coffee House offers heaps of table seating, comfortable couches and an outdoor seating area where your dog is more than allowed to sit by your side, soak in the beautiful weather and watch the friendly locals pass by.
- Unit 2 19 Bussell highway, Busselton, WA.
- 10 min drive from RAC Busselton Holiday Park.
2. Enjoy a day of entertainment and great food at Clancy’s Fish Pub
You can literally spend all day at Clancy’s Fish Pub, it has that much on offer! With breathtaking views of soaring gum trees and a tranquil lake, tasty pub grub, a fantastic selection of local craft beers, ciders, wine and more, events such as art exhibitions and film festivals to international touring acts – Clancy’s Fish Pub is fast becoming a cultural hub for the South West Region and we couldn’t recommend it enough.
With a huge grassy area, both children and dogs will love running around in the open fresh air while the adults can kick back, relax and enjoy an ice-cold beverage while watching the entertainment under shady umbrellas.
- 1710 Caves Rd, Dunsborough, WA
- 14 min drive from RAC Busselton Holiday Park
3. Walk along the beautiful Busselton foreshore with the dog and stop by Sensations Café for a quick bite to eat
Start your day with a nice relaxing walk along the Geographe Path towards the Port Geographe Marina. There’s a paved trail along the foreshore that’s perfect for walking your dog. Just before you reach the Marina, turn right down Freycinet Drive and visit Sensations Café located just on the left-hand side. This pet-friendly venue offers an amazing selection of local cuisine complemented by amazing views of the marina.
Sensations Café is open Tuesday to Sunday for breakfast, lunch, coffee & homemade cakes and slices.
- 1/24 Freycinet Drive, Busselton, WA.
- 17 min drive from RAC Busselton Holiday Park
4. Explore the wanders of Yallingup Maze
If you’re looking for an enjoyable day trip within the Margaret River region, we highly recommend Yallingup Maze. This family-owned operation offers a family filled day of brain-bending fun with a huge selection of puzzles and games, a giant bouncy castle, an ever-changing maze and a nature playground among the trees. Ideal for kids, Yallingup is also dog-friendly! You just need to keep your pooch on the grassed areas and on a leash at all times.
- 3059 Caves Road, Yallingup 6282. WA, Australia
- 24 min drive from RAC Busselton Holiday Park
5. Experience a fully personalised, dog-friendly wine tour around the Margaret River Wine Region
If you think going on a wine tour is out of the question when you’ve got a four-legged friend to worry about – think again! Grape Escape South West Tours is the only company in Margaret River that offer a pet-friendly private charter for people and dogs! The team behind Grape Escape can pick you up from your accommodation at RAC Busselton before setting off on a fully customised wine tour. Paul and Geri who run this amazing service have partnerships with all the dog-friendly wineries in the area. You’ll be stopping off at a great mix of small boutique wineries and larger venues that will all happily accommodate your much-loved pooch.
6. Enjoy the perfect meal overlooking the best of Busselton at Shelter Brewing
After an enjoyable day of exploring around the Margaret River or relaxing by the pool at RAC Busselton, put the pooch in the back seat and drive down to Shelter Brewing Co. Just in front of the iconic Busselton Jetty, Shelter Brewing Co. is a pet-friendly venue where you can enjoy their seasonal menu and local craft brews in a relaxed atmosphere.
- 11 Foreshore Parade, Busselton WA 6280
- 14 min drive from RAC Busselton Holiday Park
7. Find your perfect drop at Flametree Wines
Conveniently located between Busselton and Dunsborough, Flametree Wines Hamptons style cellar door is the perfect spot to unwind with your pooch after a hard day exploring. Enjoy a glass of wine and a make-your-own gourmet platter on their spacious deck, overlooking beautiful gardens.
- 7 Chain Avenue, Dunsborough WA 6281
- 6 minute drive from RAC Busselton Holiday Park
8. Take the dog on a fantastic walk around The Bush Loop
Whether it’s for an early morning hike or a relaxing afternoon stroll, The Bush Loop is a great walking path to take your pooch for a wander. Located in West Busselton, The Bush Loop is a 4.5-kilometre round trail that wraps along beautiful bushland and the Vasse Diversion Drain, cutting through suburban streets all the way back to the start of the track. Just make sure to keep your furry friend on a leash at all times.
- 14 minute drive from RAC Busselton Holiday Park
9. Stroll along Bunkers Bay before enjoying beachfront dining at Bunkers Beach House
Sheltered and untouched, Bunker Bay is a 2 km wide beach with soft white sand and clear gentle waves. Dogs are welcome on the beach and can be exercised off the leash! So consider taking a ball or freebie and let your pooch run! Once you’ve soaked up the sun, pop into Bunkers Beach House, a pet-friendly restaurant with a delicious modern Australian menu and some of the best views of the bay. And if you’re visiting at the right time of year, you’ll have the best seats in the bay for whale spotting!
- Farm Break Ln, Naturaliste WA 6281
- 24 min drive from RAC Busselton Holiday Park.
10. Explore the wonders of Gnarabup Beach
Grab yourself a nice takeaway cup of coffee from White Elephant Café before heading down to Gnarabup Beach. It’s almost as if this beach was made for dogs! The water is calm and gentle and there are bags and bins provided in case you need to pick up after your pooch. Take your dog along the walking path that offers spectacular views of the Gnarabup coastline.
- 40 min drive from RAC Busselton Holiday Park.